Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Just for Today, No Small Gods

Just for today I will live consciously aware of God in the moment, each moment, by living each moment in the present time and place and situation.

Living in an abusive climate for so long, thirteen years in fact, and seventeen more in my mind has taught me to escape the moment, the present. I no longer need to do so. Led astray by misplaced devotion and a massively overblown sense of responsibility; my momentary madnesses have damaged me. They flung me against the gates of a false heaven, again and again, leaving me in a shattered heap, thinking I had come too close to God. The one, true God, gently, slowly, lifted me, carried me, reassembled me. He let me know, somehow, that He had been with me always, closer than my own skin. He was that quiet place that my mind swirled around, always there but overlooked in my superhuman efforts to save the souls of my Sirens (first wife, my middle age mistress, and nearly every woman I ever “knew”). He asked me to devote myself to Him, I had o’erstepped my bounds. He would deal with them. “What about my second wife, the Innocent?” I asked. She is bulletproof now, as you know, He said, and not quite so innocent as you think. You tried to rescue her, too, and she let you, though she knew very well she needed no rescuing, then she let you down. “I hurt her.” Yes, and you have paid your penance three times over. I forgave you years ago.

God lives in the eternal now, and I will try to do so, so as not to feel separated from him, though "He is not far from any of us." In truth, He dwells within us all and about us all, Father, Son, and Spirit, holy and mysterious Trinity, always and everywhere, infinite and intimate.


“I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me.”
Show me the Way, Lord Jesus, for you are The Way.
Teach me the Truth, Lord Jesus, for are The Truth.
Grant me your very self, Lord Jesus, for you are The Life.

Christ “is in all and is all.” The center of time and space and life, the Father’s creative Word, made flesh. He lived in a normal human body, “Like us in all things save sin,” yet still God, thereby sanctifying, spiritualizing humanity. This body dwelt on the earth, in creation, was buried in the earth, thereby sanctifying, spiritualizing the earth and all creation. He rose from the dead, His humanity risen and divinified and His divinity humanized. There is none other who has done so, He is the one and only God, second person of the Trinity. The center of creation, He accepts all who accept Him, His Spirit, the Spirit of Truth. All those who know the way, the truth and the life come to the Father. Who on earth can define the limits of Christ, contain the Spirit, know the depths of the Father? All humanity is “made in the image and likeness of God.” Can anyone truly say who Christ accepts and who He rejects? Such distinctions are for earthly institutions to debate, man-made factions with small gods. Christ, risen humanity, human divinity, has been “lifted up” and “will draw all people to” Himself, and through Himself to the Father, to perfect, eternal, love, peace, joy…

Father, Son, Spirit, grant that I may always and everywhere choose You, to follow You, to listen to You, to rely on You, to be in You. Keep me, Lord, from other places, small gods, other things. May I forever live in your will.

Father, please grant me to know your will, I beg of you, let me know your will, for I have no will of my own that I can trust.

“Let it be done to me according to your word.”

No comments: