Monday, January 7, 2008

Slip of Vision

A slip of vision and the world changes.
Heaven and hell on earth can be in the same place.
It’s all about learning to look at things
with the eyes you were born with
not the ones the world gave you.
Or is it me, or you.
I know I don’t see me the way that you do.
If you see me at all when we look at each other.
We see through the veil of our experiences.
Our minds have made up most of what we see
before we ever see it.
Perhaps my slip of vision is a way of getting to the truth.
Beyond self-imposed illusion,
beneath the mask of sanity,
perhaps lies something more real than what we see.
Our minds build up webs of logic
around what our senses give them.
Miracles are made into the stuff of the ordinary.
Abominations are turned into the commonplace.
Are you too beautiful for me to understand?
Is that why you seem so plain
and feel so extraordinary?
Is that why it’s the light in your eyes
that takes my breath away and not your body?

A slip of vision.
I’ve known demons
who looked like the people next door
most of the time.
‘Cause they were.
I saw them with their masks down, too
and they didn’t look the same.
I’ve seen angels that looked like the girl next door,
bouncy blonde hair and movie star smile,
and then with a wink of her eye
she’s gone.
Miracles and abominations
wrapped in the stuff of now

No comments: